Legacy: Timeline

Our History in Timeline

Mother Mary Blandine Matelin, Sister Mary Joseph Roussin, and Sister Mary Ange Escude arrive in Galveston, Texas. They founded the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

In Galveston the Sisters open Charity Hospital. It is the first Catholic hospital in the state. Only months after opening the hospital the city is struck by a yellow fever epidemic which takes the life of Mother Blandine.

The name of Charity Hospital is changed to St. Mary's Infirmary.

New St. Mary's Infirmary with 150 beds opens in Galveston, Texas.

St. Joseph Infirmary, now St. Joseph Hospital, opens and is Houston's first general hospital.

A new St. Joseph's Infirmary is opened in Houston. A few months after its completion, a fire spreads from a nearby boarding house destroying the infirmary killing two Sisters.

Hotel Dieu Hospital is established in Beaumont, Texas.

St. Anthony's Home for the Aged is established in Houston and later becomes St. Anthony Center.

Galveston is struck by a hurricane that kills more than 6,000 residents, including 10 Sisters and 90 children at St. Mary's Orphanage.

New St. Mary's Orphanage opened in Galveston.

Sisters take charge of Dr. T. E. Schumpert's 16-room hospital and School of Nursing in Shreveport, LA.

In Lake Charles, Louisiana, St. Patrick's Sanitarium, later to be called St. Patrick Hospital, is dedicated on St. Patrick's Day.

T.E. Schumpert Memorial Sanitarium, a 90-bed facility, is dedicated on the 3rd anniversary of Dr. Schumpert's death.

The new Michael Meager Memorial Hospital opens in Texarkana, Arkansas.

St. Mary's Hospital, now St. Mary Medical Center, in Long Beach, California is dedicated.

Property purchased in Ireland, Convent named St. Michael's and used for Religious vocations.

The Motherhouse, the official residence of the Mother General and her Council, is transferred from Galveston to Houston.

St. Mary Hospital, a 50-bed facility, is established in Port Arthur, Texas.

St. Bernardine Hospital in San Bernardino, California, is established.

An earthquake destroys St. Mary's Hospital in Long Beach, California.

The Sisters purchase Beaumont General Hospital in Beaumont, Texas, and re-open it as St. Therese Hospital.

St. Mary Medical Center was rededicated after it was rebuilt following the 1933 earthquake.

St. Michael's convent in Ireland was designated as a Novitiate.

St. Edward-Rischar Memorial Hospital in Cameron, Texas, is dedicated.

At the request of the Bishop of Salt Lake City, Utah, the Sisters open a home for the aged called St. Joseph Villa.

Having operated Meagher Memorial Hospital in Texarkana for 32 years, the Sisters dedicated a new 127-bed facility named St. Michael Hospital.

St. Frances Cabrini Hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana, opens.

Two Sisters are assigned to the San Jose Clinic, a Catholic Charities center for Latin Americans in Houston.

St. Elizabeth Hospital, built to replace St. Therese Hospital and eventually Hotel Dieu, in Beaumont is dedicated.

Four Sisters are missioned to Hospital National, Huehuetenango, Guatemala.

The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word celebrate their 100th anniversary by publishing their history, "Serving With Gladness," by Sister Mary Loyola Hegarty.

The Congregation assumes the management and staffing of St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Sisters begin to work at the Hospital in San Pedro Necta, Guatemala.

The CCVI Hospital Services opens on the grounds of the Villa de Matel in Houston.

Carrigoran House in Ireland opens as a convalescent / retirement home.

The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word Health Care System of Houston (SCH) replaces Hospital Services as the health care corporation. A new 342-bed Schumpert Memorial Hospital is dedicated.

El Amparo de San Jose is established in Huehuetenango, Guatemala.

Casa del Verbo Encarnado Formation House opens in Guatemala City.

Three Sisters arrive in Nassau Bay, Texas to convert a previous Public Health Service facility situated across from the Johnson Space Center into St. John Hospital.

St. Elizabeth Hospital in Houston is purchased from the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception.

Two Sisters begin to work at COAR, center for children, El Salvador.

Sisters begin ministry in Molo, Kenya.

Two Sisters begin ministry at El Hogar de mi Hermano, Esquipulas, Guatemala.

St. Joseph's Home for the Aged in Monroe, Louisiana, is purchased by SCH. St. Anthony Center and St. Elizabeth Hospital.

Both in Houston, Texas, have ceased to serve the SCH mission and are closed.

SCH withdraws from St. Edward's Hospital in Cameron. The Sisters of Charity Health Care System begins management of Magnolia Hospital in Magnolia, Arkansas.

A ten-year lease is signed with the Jasper Memorial Hospital District for the 95 -bed Jasper Memorial Hospital in East Texas.

Congregation purchases property in Nairobi, Kenya.

St. Catherine Convent becomes the Novitiate and the Sisters continued with Forest Edge Kindergarten.

Congregation begins ministry with the elderly in Quiche, Guatemala.

St. Mary's Hospital in Galveston, the first hospital established by the Sisters, is sold to the University of Texas Medical Branch. The Galveston ministry of the Sisters continues through community-based services.

St. Mary's Hospital and St. Bernardine Medical Center in California are transferred from the Sisters of Charity Health Care System to Catholic Healthcare West. The Congregation, through CHW, continues a sponsorship role.

The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston and the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio agree to work together to form a new co-sponsored health care ministry.

SCH purchases Huckabay Memorial Hospital in Coushatta, Louisiana and renames the facility, Coushatta Health Care Center.

A new health care system, CHRISTUS Health, is created through the consolidation of the Sisters of Charity Health Care System and the Incarnate Word Health System.

The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word cosponsors the new health system with the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.

The Congregation opens a new orphanage in Kenya, Africa. Elizabeth Place Children’s Center is named for Sr. Elizabeth Ryan, one of ten Sisters who died in Galveston’s Great 1900 Storm.

Through a unique partnership involving Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Constanta Municipal Hospital in Constanta, Romania, Abbot Laboratories, and our Congregation, a new center opened in Romania to care for children with AIDS.

St. Bakhita Community (new Novitiate) is blessed, in Karen, Nairobi, Kenya.

A Retreat Center is opened in Sacatepequez in Guatemala.




 Sr. Vincent Cottier

Sr. Vincent Cottier is one of the 10 Sisters who died in the 1900 Storm.


Galveston Stories

"Galveston Stories" on DVD. Click here to order your copy.

"Queen of the Waves" on CD. Click here to order your copy.

Queen of the Waves

Click here to download a PDF copy of the "Queen of the Waves" song book.

Download Adobe Reader


Young Adults Activities Calendar

The Word Among Us

 Profile 2015

The latest edition of our profile is now available

DVD Cover

Since December 8, 1927, The Conventual Church of the Immaculate Conception has been the central place of worship for the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston, Texas.


Stained Glass Cross Image